Friday, May 28, 2010

One Week!!!!!!!!!!

Just think, one week from now you might be reading this very blog over an amazing spring salad with greens so fresh they were picked only hours ago and only a few miles from where you sit. We're down to the final week before the first delivery of the Parker Produce, CSA season. I wanted to give a glimpse of what I get to work with each day. The views are spectacular, the earth is close at hand and all about me is nature. All this and I get the satisfaction of feeding my community, neighbors and family the best food available on earth...food that was grown locally, in healthy soils that I feed with nothing more than compost and elbow grease. Here is a shot of one of our herb gardens. On the right is some mint, chives in the center and you can't make out the thyme or rhubarb. I did not put the hay wagon there but it is a nice touch. ;-)
Here is my latest invention - The open air Egg-mobile. This is where our chicks are for the rest of the summer. It's a massive sort of building on wheels. I can move it myself as I installed some old bike tires on the front (but it's easier when Brittany and I move it together and I'm grateful for her help). The chicks love it. They have access to new, fresh, green pasture everyday. The entire thing is surrounded by 'invisible' deer fencing. They get fresh greens and earth each day and as a side benefit for me, they 'mow' the grass. It's working great.
Here is a shot of the garden. What a view!

And another.
Finally, a shot of some of the peas. You can't really make it out but one of the varieties have blossoms all over them (future peas!). You can also see two types of lettuce, spinach, beet greens, dill and sunflowers. Diversity, diversity, diversity. Until next week...






No comments:

Post a Comment